11/22/11

How to teach our child not to make the same mistakes on paper

I have been tutoring my girl who is in primary one and she keeps making the same mistakes over and over again despite lot of practices. I had reminded her before she do the assignment and yet, still the same mistakes on grammar, maths. I know she can do it but she is not careful. Check out some tips to share on how to be prudent on their work. found this online.. check it out
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Maths, I teach my dd to check backwards after she solves a question. This is a way of checking as well. And in the event she has no time to check her answers, she can be assured of minimal carelessness.For comprehension cloze passage, I ask her to re-read the sentence after she fills in a blank to make sure that the word fits into the sentence. Then after she fills in all the blanks, she has to re-read the whole cloze passage to check for fluency.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We teach our DD the concept of being able to do it, and do it well. It took a while to set it in motion. One had to be around while our DD was doing the paper, and the other was instilling positive attitudes about taking responsibility, and self-worth. What I did was to tell DD that all the marks are there on the table for her to take. All she needed to do was to take them all. Making careless mistakes is fine, but not checking and wasting the marks is not taking everything that is given to you. I also told her that she has the God given gift to do well, and by doing well, she would be very happy... For herself, and only herself. Then I also told her that her parents and everyone else would be happy not because she did well, but because she is happy. My wife took time to organize exam papers and they went through the papers about 3 papers a day. Once she surpassed 4 papers, I took the kids out for ice-cream and they ordered anything they wanted. I told everyone that the good fortune is due to their big sister making a very good effort... So we all celebrated her achievement.Also, once she completed her papers and other homework, it was real playtime... We did our best NOT to control. we worked on a work hard, play harder concept.Starting from 80, she eventually hit an average of 95, had a positive attitude in doing her papers, wanting to finish her 4-5 papers a day before playing. I am proud to say that there were at least 3 papers that she scored FULL marks and these were celebrated, reinforced that she can do it, as well as "anchored" the feeling of success.while doing all these, we have been patient, encouraging, and free flow of compliments and hugs. What we learnt is that you need to know your child's love language. Once you know it, fill up the love tank... Only then can they function well to learn more.I hope that our recent experience inspires you to also grow with your child as they grow up. All the best to your improvement, as well as your child's improvement.Oh yeah... I already know what to do even before the results comes out.No matter what the results are, I will ask my DD how she feels about the results, if she felt that she deserved it, etc. She will review the process with me. If it was excellent, I will again anchor the feeling during the process and then the results. If it is not ideal, the importance is that she must feel that she did her best... And anchor that. If she feels that she didn't do her best (which at this point is unlikely as I see tremendous effort on her part), I would anchor her feelings of the process, and then review what could be done better next time, and still tell her that we appreciate her hard work... This is to focus on the process, not the results.In any way, she will win this... Only because she allowed herself to.As parents, we have to show them the way... And they WILL learn. Hence, who we really are will produce who they become.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We live in a "fine" city & I'm a "fine" mother , so I fine DS1 10 cts (10% of his daily allowance)per careless mistake in all his homework & tests when he was in P1 last yr. His highest record was 80cts in a single nite that I had to let him pay by instalments. I was actually v heart-pained 4 him but no choice, had to carry through. Always explain to him that the objective is so that he remembers to check in school, as we r not ard to remind him. So the fines act as reminders, & hopefully, he will form the good habit of checking his work.Things improved alot (no careless mistakes on most months) even tho he is v sotong by nature.However, after the dec hols, he forgotten the pinch & 10cts is longer "painful" enough, as he starts having savings too. Numerous careless mistakes surfaced again within the 1st few weeks! So I increased his fine to $1 per careless mistake. After a few weeks of fines (his record this yr is $4 in a night!), things r ok now. No fine for the past 2 mths.

for me, i will have a nice talk with the childlook, you know the stuff, right ?yes
is it fair that you lose the mark ? no
so it does not reflect your ability, right ? no
it does not so what are you going to do about it ? be more careful
how are you going to be more careful ? check and check and write carefully, transfer the number carefully and check

kids do take pride in their work, so i psycho them lah.
it works for me/my kids
however, in work place,
I fine them $10 for every one data entry mistake
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think we touched on this topic in another thread. DD too is prone to carelessness. She can throw away 10 pts just because of carelessness. I had to remind her to check the question numbering, if this page ends with question number 5 then the next page should start with question number 6. Had to do that because she missed out a whole page of questions before. This year she has been pretty ok so far.She has a couldn't care less kind of attitude and will say, not that I don't know how to do what, just that I did not read the numbers correctly or copied the words wrongly. And DH had to echo that thought, saying she knows the answer right so it is basically carelessness so ok lah. For me that is a big NOT OK. To lose marks due to carelessness is wasteful. For DD, money does not incentivise nor deter. I tried various methods, and in the end the one that worked was for her to make her do additional work everytime she exceeds a certain number of careless mistakes. But I think the real turnaround was this year when she came home with full marks on one of her tests and she said she checked her work properly and found 2 mistakes which she corrected else it will not be full marks.

No comments: